Greetings from Peter Mayer

Friday, February 19, 2010

"God of Grace" h2odevoscbl 022010


Changed By Love (by Peter Mayer)



Changed by Love

And sent to share it

When you're changed by Love

You shine the Light and wear it

In your heart in every place

Lift our hands oh God of grace

We will never be the same

We are changed by Love


A few weeks ago Sue Ann and I were in London. We were able to attend a new exhibit which was titled "The Real Van Gogh: The Artist and His Letters" at the Royal Academy of Arts. You can learn more about this amazing exhibit by checking out

http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibitions/vangogh/exhibition/



A day prior to viewing the exhibit our son Noah and I were able to hear the curator explain how the show was envisioned and ultimately assembled. Both events where profound, moving and wonderful experiences.



There is a painting of Van Gogh's by the title, "Open Bible." The following article provides an introduction to that particular painting. Subconsciously, I believe the painting was in my head/heart when I took the picture of the pretzel, the coffee and the Bible (you might not be able to see that it is open to the Book of Psalms.)

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/great-works/great-works-still-life-with-open-bible-1885-vincent-van-gogh-1854567.html



Van Gogh was able to see the holy in the ordinary. Consequently, we the viewers are drawn to what is extra-ordinary. An article from about 20 years ago

http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=752 summarizes Van Gogh's work and was the basis for a book by Kathleen Powers Erickson, At Eternity's Gate:

The Spiritual Vision of Vincent Van Gogh.



Peter's music, his lyrics and tunes help me see the holy in the ordinary as well. I suppose another way of saying it is that Peter's music, lyrics and tunes help me experience grace-filled moments in the awkward moments and events of life.



Right now the Winter Olympics are on television. Gracefulness is readily apparent on the slopes, the rinks and halfpipes. Just the other morning I was leaving a meeting at a community building when my phone rang. As I was walking down the steps and only had three more steps to go, I answered my phone. Just a few moments later, I was on the floor. The only thing which really got hurt was my pride. I was pretty hard on myself for the rest of the morning because I was attempting to deal simultaneously with my Blackberry addiction as well as multi-tasking. Then I read the following passage,



4For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace. Romans 6:4



Peter sings about a "God of Grace." Sometimes words get overused in our lives. Unfortunately, "Grace" is one of those words. My hope and prayer for you, for me today is to bask in the extraordinary ordinary-ness of God's grace.



Let me know how it goes for you. Drop me a note at h2o.devos@earthlink.net

Peace,

rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment