Greetings from Peter Mayer

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

h2odevos encores 040412 Twist and Shout

“Every gift grand and lowly
Every purpose great and small
At this feast they are made holy
By your name you have been called
By your name you have been called”

Pass It On by Peter Mayer, Patricia O’Reilly

I love the season of Lent. I know some of you may think that’s weird, but I do love Lent. It’s all about preparation, getting ready and anticipating Easter Sunday and seven weeks of Easter. Pretzels have a connection to Lent. I encourage you to visit the following website for http://www.guspretzels.com/

When I lived in St. Louis, I usually made a weekly pilgrimage to Gus’ Pretzels. During Lent, I would visit a couple of times per week. Whenever, I was down in the dumps or feeling blue, I’d stop by to see Gus (and also have a pretzel or two). I can’t tell you how much I wish or think church should be like Gus’ Pretzels. A visit there is welcoming, it is nutritious and social. You could go to Gus’ in a bad mood and leave feeling happy and hopeful.

As Peter sings, “at this feast they are made holy.”

I’ve written an Ode to Pretzels and want to share it with you.
Gus is a good man I know
He makes money twistin’ dough
Flour, water, salt and yeast
It’s a salubrious feast.

Hand-twisted for many a year
Tastes good with water or beer
They announce the season of Lent
You can get three for 1 dollar spent

In the shape of the Trinity
Yet still connected for unity
Father, Son & Holy Ghost
Raise your stein to make a toast

Pretzels are quite a work of art
Easy to make from the start
Mix ‘em up in your favorite bowl
You and friends will be thankful

Words by RTG (a polka tune is being composed to go with the words)

Twist & Shout for Joy!
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment