Greetings from Peter Mayer

Monday, November 28, 2011

h2odevos eots 112811 "My Favorite Things"


H2odevos eots 112811 My Favorite Things



I’ve been listening to Peter play “My Favorite Things.” It has become now one of my favorite things. If you’ve been reading and/or listening to h2odevos for some time during Advent you are aware that “eggbeaters” are also some of my favorite things. Over the years I’ve collected quite a few of them. I recently learned that it was Willis Johnson, an African-American who received the first patent for eggbeaters in 1884. I think I am so taken by eggbeaters because they embody the collects for Advent, which all begin with the words, “Stir up, Oh Lord and come.” Even as a little boy sitting around the Advent wreath I was enthralled by the notion that for four weeks of the year we prayed for God to come and “stir it up.” As you know, the other 48 weeks of the year we normally pray for God to make the storms to be still and calm so that we might have “smooth sailing.”
Another one of my favorite things is Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars. I have quite a collection of them, (just about the whole spectrum of liturgical colors). However, I recently met a woman by the name of Jill who is the “Czarina of Converse.” You will see a picture of her closet in this devo.

Thinking about “My Favorite Things” leads me to want to talk with you about an attitude of gratitude. We just finished with Thanksgiving Weekend. However, I hope we are not finished with “thanks-giving.”  2,000 years ago, St. Paul sent a text message to the Christians in Corinth, in which he wrote,

“3Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

4I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus, 5for in every way you have been enriched in him, in speech and knowledge of every kind (I Cor 1:3-5)”
St. Paul was thankful for these folks who had problems and quarrels about a plethora of concerns and issues. And yet, he was grateful for them.

My spiritual director, Father Vince has shared with me the work of a man by the name of  Robert Emmons, in fact, one book in particular, Thanks-How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier.
His work led me to the popular work of John Kralik who wrote a “thank you note” each day for a year.


Both men suggest that if one takes time to write down what one is thankful for in life that life itself will become more pleasant and happy. It is such a basic concept, but it really WORKS!

So, today my friends, (I want you to know that I’m thankful for YOU!) and most of all I pray that your Advent journey brings about happiness and joy. So, why not take time right now to make a list of “Your Favorite Things.” And of course, you can amend the title to include people, food, eggbeaters and even cool/stylish tennis shoes.

Deck the halls,
Rtg



No comments:

Post a Comment