Greetings from Peter Mayer

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

GOOD SMILES TSOC 120710 +Ambrose+

TSOC 120710 Good Smiles
December 7, 2010
Tuesday
+Ambrose+, Bishop of Milan, died 397




Peter sings,
“A year full of meanwhiles, hard times, good smiles
Suddenly the yuletide is near
Creeps in quietly, soon undeniably catches your heart
You’re part of the story of Christmas”

“Tempus fugit” in other words “time flies.” Sue Ann and I have already said to each other a zillion times this month, “can you believe it is December?” It certainly has
crept “in quietly.” Another saying about “time” which is often repeated is “Time heals all wounds.” I know that this is partially true. It does appear that sometimes the distance of time does seem to help reduce the pain, animosity and shame associated with a particular injury or hurtful event. At the same time I have known and experienced people who are able to hold onto their intense anger and pain for many, many years. I believe that God grants and dispenses a “holy amnesia” which enables humans to be able to forgive, simply because when we “remember” what has been done for us in Christ on the cross, we then have energy and impetus to “forgive.”

Today, December 7th is a day marked in time. Having been born in 1954, I am also old enough and young enough to remember the “infamy of this day, December 7, 1941. My father, Frank along with thousands of women and men fought in WWII as the “greatest generation” lived out their calling.

On internship from seminary, Sue Ann and I were able to purchase our first new car. The list price was less than $4,000. (We have almost paid that much for a new computer).
I can remember being criticized by someone at the church I served because Sue Ann and I drove an “import” a Toyota from Japan. This took place almost 40 years after December 1941. The person’s feelings were intense and real. I am not criticizing that person for what they said or felt. Nor is it my intention to minimize the horror and devastation of war. My goal is to help communicate the “peace of God that passes all understanding.”

For I know that we, you and I hold onto grudges and pain from the past, but in the final analysis those feelings and thoughts create a powerful “hold” on us. Advent is a time of year in the story of Christmas to move on through our heartaches and heartbrakes.

Ambrose, a servant of the church died on this day many years ago. He is attributed to having written the words to the hymn, “Savior of the Nations Come.” I am particularly taken by the second verse of the hymn:

Not by human flesh and blood,
but the mystic Breath of God,
was the Word of God made flesh,
fruit of woman, blossom fresh.


There is something about the “mystic Breath of God.” The Bible reminds us again and again that God speaks and something, someone, HAPPENS!

Peter sings,
“A year full of meanwhiles, hard times, good smiles
Suddenly the yuletide is near
Creeps in quietly, soon undeniably catches your heart
You’re part of the story of Christmas”


I pray today that what “catches your heart” is forgiveness, love, hope and peace.
The silly picture of me in the Kitchen at Camp Arcadia hopefully “stirs up” some laughter in you. May we “taste and see” that the Lord is good!

Joyfully,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment