Greetings from Peter Mayer

Friday, December 10, 2010

TSOC 121010 A is for Angel

TSOC 121010 A is for Angel
December 10, 2010
Friday




Lighthearted by Delia Stewart

Peter sings,
“A is for Angel, that’s where we start
A is for Angel, took hold of my heart”

Thursday is my day off. Now, I know that may sound strange to some of you that pastors take days off, but we do. Actually, I truly believe that the better boundaries clergy have the healthier they are (as well as their families and congregations, too.) Just like for many of you, some days off are better than others. Yesterday was a day of errands. I did some minor household things and a little Christmas shopping. However, nothing exciting took place. It was just a plain, routine, average day. I also walked around Wash Park in the mid-afternoon.

Our daughter Hannah Grace has a picture/plaque in her room (she lives in Minneapolis, but has space here) with the following quote from Hebrews 13:2.
“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.” Those words always make me stop and think. Hannah has very much embraced those words into her life as she meets and greets everyone with respect and kindness.

I like those words because they remind me that there is more than meets the eye. Often we think we know exactly what is happening when in reality there is more taking place than we are aware. The person we don’t make eye contact “sees” that we are afraid or offended by them. I don’t perceive myself to be a wealthy person, but I know that I am privileged beyond the dreams of most people in the world. I recognize there are people who are hungry, hurting and alone. Wouldn’t it be wild if we acknowledged those around us as the angels that they could very possibly be? Their message, their mission might be
to “lighten” our hearts from being burden by worries, concerns and doubt.

Peter sings,
“A is for Angel, that’s where we start
A is for Angel, took hold of my heart”

So today’s assignment is simple, “Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.”

It’s all part of the story of Christmas,
Joyfully,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment