Greetings from Peter Mayer

Friday, December 3, 2010

SPARKS TSOC 120310 Friday, +Francis Xavier+ 1552

TSOC 120310 Sparks
December 3, 2010
Friday
+Francis Xavier, missionary to Asia, died 1552+



Peter sings,
“New colors dancing on evergreen branches
You feel a change in the wind
Brings new light to your eyes once again”


Yesterday, on my day off I made several batches of what I humbly call, “Glusenkamp Granola.” Two summers ago I saw a recipe in the New York Times for making granola with olive oil. Here’s the link http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/dining/151arex.html?ref=dining
Now, just by chance the first time I made the recipe I added by accident chocolate chips instead of coconut chips(it’s a common mistake among Glusenkamps). When I discovered the error of my ways I left the chocolate chips in the mix and added the coconut chips as well. Since that time I have continued to make a “mistake” on each occasion. I have also added sunflower seeds, as well as walnuts or cashews if I can’t find
raw pistachios. I’ve found that most people don’t like unshelled pistachios in their granola (live and learn).

Peter is singing about changes. There are colors dancing in the trees. The wind is a bit colder (at least in many places of the country). And the illumination and reflection of decorations brings new light to our eyes.

I’ve included a picture of Forrest who is in Second Grade. A few weeks ago all the Second grade students in our congregation received copies of SPARK Bibles. These Bibles published by Augsburg Fortress are very “user friendly.” The children and their parents were so excited to receive the Bibles. We also gave each child a jar of honey with the Bible passage, Ezekiel 3:2-3, 2So I opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat. 3He said to me, Mortal, eat this scroll that I give you and fill your stomach with it. Then I ate it; and in my mouth it was as sweet as honey. I learned this from Pastor Pam and Pastor Erik and the good people of Edina Community Lutheran Church. Young Christian, his parents and sibling as well as all of his classmates and parents are on a faith journey. One of our roles as a community of believers is to help pass on a “spark” so that their faith can blossom and grow. Pastor Ruth Ann, my colleague preached a “whale” of a sermon on that day. She spoke directly to the children (and let their parents and grandparents overhear the message).
http://www.bethany-denver2.org/church-life/sermons/?sermon_id=157

I know this is the second reference to the Wisdom of Sirach in one week. But, here’s a good reminder of how we can live as characters in “the story of Christmas,”

Sirach 28:12
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
yet both come out of your mouth.

So, we have the power to create and tear down (or in this instance) extinguish. I want you to intentionally imagine today how your breath might help a spark to glow.

Peter sings,
“New colors dancing on evergreen branches
You feel a change in the wind
Brings new light to your eyes once again”


Joyfully,
Rtg

Ps
Here’s a note from a reader/listener. I hope this “sparks” some of you to send in pictures, notes and ideas!






Dear Ron, Cynthia, and Peter,

I have attached a photo that I took when my wife Barb and I were in Asker Parish in Orebro, Sweden in July of 2009. It was the church that my Great Grandmother Clara Anderson Erickson Danielson and Great Grandfather Peter Erick Erickson attended in the 1880s before they emigrated to the United States.

It was taken when we were given a tour of the Asker Parish church of the Church of Sweden. We were climbing up the inside of the steeple to get a view of the countryside when I looked out the window and saw the cross. It is one of my favorite photos. I think seeing the cross through the star is very symbolic of Christmas
Please feel free to use the photo of the cross in the H2o Devotions if it fits in with your plans. Thanks,
Al Youngdahl & Barb Sanborn

No comments:

Post a Comment