Greetings from Peter Mayer

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

h2odevos encores 022212 On Your Mark


"How can I hear when You call? 
When at last grace has found me
Will I recognize it at all?
Lift this song of sadness into gladness at Your feast
To hear Your voice is calling, come walk with me

Ever walk with me Lord
Each night and day a rejoicing
With kindness the harmony, justice the beat
You've turned my footsteps to dancing
Oh Ever walk with me Lord"

Walk With Me Lord by Peter Mayer



The message on the sign changes to WALK. It is part command and even demand. It is part invitation and part vocation. WALK. I look out my window on this early February morning. It is dark and cold. The snow is falling and everything looks fresh, new, clean and pure. I've got snowshoes in a box that are calling me to WALK.

Another message comes our way today as well on this first day of Lent. "You are dust and to dust you shall return."  Just in case we thought we were immortal these words are spoken as the sign of the cross in ashes is made on our forehead. In other words, we are terminal.

Maybe those words stop us dead in our tracks. Perhaps they give us pause to reflect on our condition, our health status and also  to remind us that in baptism we have been marked with the cross of Christ. Consequently, we are claimed, gathered and sent for the sake of the world. WALK.

"They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden at the time of the evening breeze, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden." Genesis 3:8

I am imagining what the sound is when the Lord God walks in the garden. Does it sound like a symphony orchestra or church organ music? Or do the footsteps sound heavy and judgmental? Are the footsteps brisk or was God just out for a stroll?

Adam and Eve knew, they understood immediately what the situation was and began to make excuses. When I've been confronted with my brokenness or sinfulness, it has been natural for me to want to change my walk into running away in order to hide or distance myself.

On this first day of  our Lenten journey, I invite you to hear the words proclaimed by the prophet Joel,  "Yet even now, says the LORD, return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; 13rend your hearts and not your clothing. Return to the LORD, your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, and relents from punishing." Joel 2:12-13

In many Christian traditions it is customary to "give up" something for Lent. To do without something is a very helpful discipline. As a youngster, I used to give up lima beans and broccoli for Lent. As you might suspect, that wasn't too big of a sacrifice for me. I encourage you to "take on" something different this Lent. And if I may suggest something, that something would be to increase your physical activity by striving to walk 10,000 steps per day. 2,000 steps is approximately a mile. On average most Americans walk 4,000-6,000 steps per day. So, I encourage you to go the extra mile or two. You'll be glad you did. An excellent resource to count your steps is 
www.americaonthemove.org.

"Lift this song of sadness into gladness at Your feast
To hear Your voice is calling, come walk with me"


WALK,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment