Greetings from Peter Mayer

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

h2odevos encores 022812 God Loves You!


"You're an Angel waiting on her wings
Getting by on what each new day brings
I'm a silent prayer waiting for a voice
I sing because I have no other choice

Don't know what will be
Just around the bend
'Til I'm there
It's good to have a friend
It's good to have my friend"

It's Good to Have A Friend by David Bailey & Peter Mayer


"I'm a silent prayer waiting for a voice
I sing because I have no other choice"

I'm wondering what it is that you do because you have no other choice. In other words, what is your gift? What is your passion, if you will?  I mean something that you are called to do which you do because it ultimately makes you more you. And in the doing of it makes your friend, your neighbor, your community more of a friend, more of a neighbor and more of a community.  Now, this aggressive line of questioning isn't intended to cause you worry or concern this morning. In fact, it is intended to bring about confidence and certainty as opposed to anxiety or discomfort. I can tell that I'm in a didactic mode this a.m.

My hope and prayer for you is that you realize, feel, know, internalize, personalize (and simply take it to heart) that God loves you. Maybe, I should just stop right there because it is so central and foundational to what life and love is all about. If you get nothing else from these devos, I hope you know and experience God's love. The following Bible passage is a great message to handle. And maybe not so much to handle with care, but if you have cares, worries, concerns and troubles, pick up these words and let them handle you, to let them speak to you. Jesus said,

"As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. 11 I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete. 12 'This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. 16 You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. 17 I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another." (John 15:6-16)

Jesus was talking about bearing fruit. I simply love that line which Peter sings, "I sing because I have no other choice."  Pete has been called to sing. That's his gift and one of the ways he bears fruit.  And so his words and melodies bring joy to folks who don't know what the future holds or what's around the bend. I think he is also reminding us to celebrate having a friend and at the same time is encouraging us to be a friend as well. When that happens, we get a piece of paradise.

It's good to have a friend.

Rtg

ps:  Many of you have inquired how to get a cd or Peter's music. Go to www.petermayer.com and check out the tunes available.

No comments:

Post a Comment