Greetings from Peter Mayer

Friday, February 24, 2012

h2odevos encores 022412 The Priest of the Forest


“Rust or diamonds
You wonder who you are
Under who you are
Oh Lord, I'm tryin'
All the while I'm tumblin' barrel rollin'
In the arms that save me

Every plan that I made
Has been mystified by grace
Loving arms swept me away
And it's too late, it's too late

(We are) tumbled in the stream
(We go) crashing over and over
(We are) broken at the seams
(We are) Filled with Holy water”

Waterfall by Peter Mayer

Last fall I had the opportunity to spend a couple of days in Nashville with Peter and his family. One afternoon Peter and I went for a walk in a forest not far from their home.  As we hiked we were talking about family, friends, food, music and God of course.  All of a sudden, we saw a deer. I remarked to Peter, "We were so busy talking about God that we almost missed seeing God."

Here was a deer which stood majestically and regally in its place. It stared at us as it presided over the communion lovingly offered in the cathedral of the forest. The birds chanted their songs, the squirrels collected their offerings and butterflies danced a dance of joy and wonder. The deer pronounced the benediction and dismissed us before heading off for another service.

Every plan that I made
Has been mystified by grace
Loving arms swept me away

You might be taking Lent so seriously this year, or yourself so seriously, or maybe even God so seriously this year that in all the "talking about God, you might miss seeing God."

Here are some passages to keep on the hard drive of your heart, your soul, your mind:

Isaiah 35:6
"Then the lame shall leap like a deer,
      and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.
      For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
      and streams in the desert;" 

Psalm 18:33
He made my feet like the feet of a deer,
      and set me secure on the heights.

Psalm 42:1
As a deer longs for flowing streams,
      so my soul longs for you, O God.

Drink it up,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment