Greetings from Peter Mayer

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Acceptance h2o devos fia 031711

St. Patrick's Day 031711



“They went drivin' down the highway looking for redemption
Illinois chain gangs, Dakota grass
Stopped at Ruby's diner she said do you love me he said
I don't even know who I am
Chorus
Chain of Love
I can't break this chain of…
Chain of love…
Set me free but don't let me go”

www.petermayer.com/songs/chain-of-love

When Peter sings this song in a church building he always stops in the middle of it and says something like, “well, I don’t know if the pastor will like this or not, but if this was a Buffet concert there would be a conga line!” And with that folks who are somewhat reluctant to “pass the peace” magically and mystically get up. Without benefit of ushers or greeters, people figure it out. All of a sudden there are conga lines criss-crossing the sanctuary. Folks are laughing and dancing. It’s holy ground. It’s a “chain of love.”

We find ourselves in this “chain of love” on this day we remember St. Patrick. He’s part of the family. And when it comes to families it’s very important to have the angel of “Acceptance.”

Delia has designed “Acceptance” in such a way to push the issue of acceptance. Her wings are not symmetrical. There is oxidation taking place on her front. Her face isn’t a smooth surface. “Acceptance” is all about accepting oneself and others.

I find that when I am hyper-critical of others it is because I’m not very accepting of myself. What’s curious is that the gospel message is all about acceptance.
Jesus said, “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest,” Matthew 11:28. It’s significant to note that Jesus DIDN’T SAY-
“come to me, when you have it all together and are perfect.”
So today let “Acceptance” fly into your heart, your mind and your soul. Let’s see what “chains of love” we can celebrate.

St. Patrick's Day Pretzels

No comments:

Post a Comment