Greetings from Peter Mayer

Monday, March 14, 2011

"Sweetness" h2o devos fia 031411

H2o devos fia 031411 Sweetness
Monday



“Sweet Nothing …Nothing at all
Sweet Nothing…
When nothin’ makes me happy
No one does it better than you
Makes me happy”

Peter Mayer/Mac McAnally/Jim Mayer

www.petermayer.com/songs/sweet-nothing

Yesterday my colleague Pastor Ruth Ann and I co-officiated at a wedding for Mary and John. It was a small, intimate gathering among family and friends. For both bride and groom it was a second marriage. Love was in the air. It was all so very, very sweet. A young granddaughter of the groom was very dressed up in a polka-dotted dress. I remarked to her, “you have on a lovely dress.” A big smile came to her face and she sweetly said, “Yes, I know!”

I thought of Delia’s angel, “Sweetness.” When we have a “little faith in angels” we catch glimpses of the joy and happiness which surrounds us. There are honeycombs all around us!

From Thursday evening through noon on Saturday several members of Bethany and the pastoral staff were at a Lenten retreat in the mountains. It was a sweet time of caring conversations, service, rituals and traditions and devotions. It is always great when the people of God gather together to pray, sing and study scripture. I had written my devos in advance and through the wonders of technology was able to time their release through Cynthia’s able and caring hands. We were “fasting” from news media because of intent as well as location. In other words we didn’t receive much info about the tsunami and subsequent tragic consequences, specifically the loss of life, significant property damage and emotional trauma.

There are lots of ways to respond in addition to offering prayers and caring thoughts. Lots of agencies are ready, willing and able to accept gifts of financial relief. I made a gift on Sunday through the ELCA Disaster Response. It felt like a “sweet” thing to do.A link is provided for your convenience.

https://community.elca.org/NetCommunity/SSLPage.aspx?pid=631



Our good friends at Metro CareRing (a local food pantry) have posted the following sign in the area where clients are able to select food. This food pantry helps the working poor. I often say this wonderful "place is for people for whom the month is 3-5 days too long." I am so happy that clients are able to choose something sweet!

I so enjoy Peter singing the words, “sweet nothing.” At one point in the song he confesses “all I want tonight is something to believe in.” Well, I know the words from the Book of Proverbs (which I like to call the “Twitter of the Bible”) are true and something we can all believe in:

“Pleasant words are like a honeycomb,
sweetness to the soul and health to the body,”
(Proverbs 16:24)



Today you can be that angels of “Sweetness” as you say pleasant words. You can make someone happy. And as the young folks like to say, “SWEET!”

rtg

1 comment:

  1. "It was a sweet time of caring conversations, service, rituals and traditions and devotions. It is always great when the people of God gather together to pray, sing and study scripture." --- This is what I miss in my present situation....

    ReplyDelete