Greetings from Peter Mayer

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Blessed to Be The Blessing


H2odevos p4p Lent 2013 “Blessed to Be The Blessing”



Blessed To Be The Blessing by Peter Mayer

Vs 1
"It's not to hold and not to keep not to drown in the depths of me
But the word of God is breath to me and I am changing
But it's not what I have done but the way that I've been loved
At the cross-roads lifted up lifted by the Savior

Chorus
We are blessed
We are blessed
We are blessed to be the blessing
Every breath ...blessed
Our hands and our footsteps ...........blessed
We are blessed to be the blessing"


Two years ago when Pastor Jessica Harris Daum (see bio and photo herewas our intern, she presented me with the idea that our congregation could and should grow in its ability to reach out into the community. What she was proposing was a “day of service.” As we talked and prayed the idea came to us that what we should really do was to CANCEL worship on a Sunday so that everyone might participate in SERVICE. So, that’s what we have done in 2011 and 2012. Our day is called BE THE BLESSING. The first year more than 750 people participated. In 2012 the number grew to be more than 850. 

This year our day is June 2, 2013. We are now in the planning phase. Obviously we ask for your  prayers and best wishes to that we can continue to let our light shine.

The Bible passage which really spoke to Jess and me is a great purpose statement for what communities of faith are all about, we have been blessed to be a blessing.

“Now the LORD said to Abram, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. 2I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing.” Genesis 12



In one of my conversations with Peter I shared with him how people of all ages and abilities participated in this wonderful event. He was so inspired by it all that he wrote a song which debuted at the ELCA Youth Gathering this past summer in New Orleans.

So, today, let the words flow over your consciousness. Let them speak to your heart, your hands and your soul. Remember, you have been blessed to BE THE BLESSING!

Peace,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment