Greetings from Peter Mayer

Saturday, February 16, 2013

If You Got A Hole In Your Life


H2odevos p4p Lent 2013 021613  If You Got a Hole in Your Life”

"A piece of Paradise"

“I thought that I had a soul
It turned out to be just a hole in my life
Oh, just a piece of paradise
Everybody’s searching”

I totally love the haunting “call to worship” which begins this song. It is sweet, mournful with a touch of regret and honesty.

“I thought that I had a soul
It turned out to be just a hole in my life
Oh, just a piece of paradise
Everybody’s searching”

Peter’s words remind me of a line from  Lamentations 3:17
“my soul is bereft of peace; I have forgotten what happiness is.”  The entire Book of Lamentations is like the Country Western portion of the Bible. It is full of laments, songs of loss, sadness and the hope of redemption. It is as B.J. Thomas sang,
“another somebody done somebody wrong song.”

Whenever somebody I know is really going through a rough patch in their life, I usually direct them to spend some time in Lamentations. Usually they are surprised to know that such deep words of pain and anguish are in the Bible. I truly am grateful that the compilers/editors/Holy Spirit inspired folks who put the Scriptures together lovingly and graciously gave such credence to the “blues.”

Peter sings, “everybody’s searching,” to which I reply, “ain’t that the truth.”
It is my sense that we catch and snatch glimpses and pieces of paradise. May your day today be full of the “peace that passes understanding.” God’s blessings on your searching.

Peace,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment