Greetings from Peter Mayer

Friday, February 15, 2013

When You Have A Big Decision to Make


H2odevos p4p 021513  “When You Have A Big Decision to Make”

“When we must say farewell my friend, Love light my way

 
A new beginning with each end
a bloom upon the grave

A time to mourn, a time to dance,
Lord light my way

Standing with us,
hand in hand, the circle shall not break
Surprised us with grace

Beside us you stay

Recognized us for who we are and whose we are by name”
Light My Way by Peter Mayer
"Lord, Light My Way"
When I came home from sabbatical last spring I had some decisions to make. So, I did what many people do. I prayed and also talked with family and friends. I also visited with a therapist on several occasions.  After a period of time I decided to convene a “clearness committee.” I had read about such a group in the writings of Parker Palmer. You can find out more about a “clearness committee” by clicking on the link which follows.

I asked seven people who know me quite well to join together in a two hour gathering at which I would present the “issue(s).” For the next hour and 45 minutes they would listen and ask open-ended questions. It was not their job to give me advice, but rather to elicit answers from me which would provided clearness for the task at hand. The last 15 minutes of our time together was given over to people reflecting back on what they had heard and seen from me.

It was a pretty powerful experience. I feel that it allowed me to listen to myself which in turn gave me the courage to make some clear decisions regarding what I was going to do or not going to do.

Several of the participants suggested that I had a great deal of courage to convene such a group. While I would like to bask in their compliments I didn’t feel particularly courageous. What I did feel is that there are certain times in life when one really doesn’t have a choice but to push forward toward the light. If that is courageous, then so be it.

I also know that I felt extremely blessed to be surrounded by non-judgmental people who love and care deeply about me.  We do experience as Peter sings,

A time to mourn, a time to dance.”

So, if you have a big decision to make, I encourage to think about a “clearness committee.”  I am grateful they were the answer to my prayer,
“Lord, Light my way.”

Peace,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment