Greetings from Peter Mayer

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Baking Communion Bread

“Pass it on

Break the bread,
 lift the cup

Pass it on

The broken will be lifted up”
Pass It On by Peter Mayer


There is something wonderful about making communion bread. It doesn’t take very long to do and the results are just fantastic. I’ve put together a video on how I make communion bread according to the Luther Seminary recipe. If you visit this link you can watch the video as well as download the recipe. It’s pretty simple. I know for certain that each time you do it you’ll find that it’s easier and also more fun.

Now why do I think this is important? Well, I believe it is important to use bread as often as one can for communion. At our congregation we don’t always use bread, but when we do use bread people seem to notice. I will also say that not everyone likes real bread at communion. I’m not certain of the reasons for that, but my hunch is that it’s too “earthy.”

In other words, I think for some people it’s simply not spiritual enough. Now, I don’t necessarily agree with that viewpoint, but I’ve been doing this long enough to realize that ultimately it doesn’t matter what the “delivery system is” chalice or individual cups- wafers or bread, but as Martin Luther said, the words, “given and shed for you.”

That’s what  Peter is singing about
“Break the bread,
 lift the cup
Pass it on

The broken will be lifted up”

It’s all about being in communion.

Peace,

rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment