Greetings from Peter Mayer

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Happy

“We got our maps our clues, police and policy

Still we cannot trace the spirits nest

We hunt for miles and all the while it paints the scenery

Scatters and whirls an arabesque
Chorus  
Hey ey Hey ey this mercy moves

God is loose hey ey
God is loose in the world

Hey ey hey ey the universe is singing

Loose hey hey God is loose in the world
We better lock him up the crazy man

He’s causing trouble, brewing storms

Traded fashion for compassion

The revolution fought with kindness not a sword”
Loose in the World by Peter Mayer


Dr. Walter Brueggemann in his book Spirituality of the Psalms writes about psalms that are of “orientation, dis-orientation and new orientation.”  Real quick like, Psalm 8 is a psalm of orientation. It’s a creation hymn. Psalm 22 (which Jesus quotes on the cross is a psalm of dis-orientation) “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” And Psalm 23 or Psalm 46 are of a new orientation.

I’d like to humbly submit another song of new orientation and that would be “Happy” by Pharrell Williams. This is a wonderful psalm which moves one out of sadness and pain into joy and comfort. One cannot listen to this without tapping your toes and getting your mojo moving.

I especially like the line
“Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof Because I’m happy”
In New Harmony, Indiana there is a chapel without a roof. What this reminds me of is Peter’s line,
“God is loose in the world.”  As N.F.S Grundtvig reminds us in “Built on a Rock”

“Surely, in temples made with hands
            God the Most High is not dwelling—
            high in the heav'ns his temple stands,
            all earthly temples excelling.
            Yet he who dwells in heav'n above
            deigns to abide with us in love,
            making our bodies his temple.”

Text: Nicolai F. S. Grundtvig, 1783-1872; tr. Carl Doving, 1867-1937, adapt.
Text © 1958 Service Book and Hymnal, admin. Augsburg Fortress.

So today, listen to this wonderful psalm and be happy!
It might seem crazy what I’m about to say Sunshine she’s here, you can take a break I’m a hot air balloon that could go to space With the air, like I don’t care baby by the way 
[Chorus:]  Because I’m happy Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof Because I’m happy Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth Because I’m happy Clap along if you know what happiness is to you Because I’m happy Clap along if you feel like that’s what you wanna do
Peace,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment