Greetings from Peter Mayer

Thursday, December 1, 2011

h2odevos eots 120111 "Go, TELL!"



H2odevos eots 120111 “Go, TELL!”
World Aids Day

“Go tell it on the mountain,
tell it on the street,
that Jesus Christ is BORN!”




I normally try to write these devos about a day in advance. On Wednesday morning I was out walking because there was a forecast of significant snowfall for the Denver area for late Wednesday night and early Thursday. As I walked around Wash Park I kept listening to Peter’s fabulous rendition of “Go Tell It On the Mountain.” I got so carried away that I was clapping and shouting “Go, Tell, Tell it on the Mountain, Tell it on the Street, that Jesus Christ is Born!” The resident geese of the park who normally scatter the runners, joggers, walkers and bikers with their incantations of goose-speak and wild wing clapping stared at me in disbelief. Soon they took off to “GO TELL!”

My good friend, Dr. Donald Messer has founded an amazing ministry by the name of
The Center for Church and Global Aids,  http://www.churchandglobalaids.org/
One of his books is entitled, Breaking the Conspiracy of Silence


In a recent interview (referenced at the bottom of these next two quotes), he talks about why he wrote what he did:

“My book was an attempt to express what I heard as God’s cry for the marginalized around the world. I saw it academically as an essay in practical theology, but I remember wondering, when I was writing it, if the rhetoric was too shrill and maybe the publishers would tone it down. Fortunately Fortress Press editors were very supportive—and to my surprise the book changed my life! The response of readers led me to a seemingly endless series of speaking engagements, writing assignments, AIDS Conferences, etc. I started a 501c3 charity.”

“I’m an idealist and it is not coincidental that my favorite popular song is the “The Impossible Dream” from Man of La Mancha. But I am also a realist and I believe it is possible to conquer hunger and end AIDS in our lifetime. An AIDS-free and hunger-free world are my mantra. What it will take is political will and compassion without borders. This is not simply a romantic vision, but one embraced by scientists, economists, politicians and other persons of goodwill around the world. These goals are not simply within our reach, but also our grasp. Achieving this future is not inevitable, but neither is it impossible. I feel fortunate to live at such a moment in history when this vision is not just a utopian dream, but a realistic possibility. And maybe my work will have contributed in some small way.”



So one piece of the “GO TELL” theme for World Aids Day is God’s cry for those who are suffering.  Often we pray for God to hear or listen to our cries or the cries of those who are suffering. But, Don rightly turns the tables on us and invites us to listen to God’s crying for the suffering. It is as if God is asking, “CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?”

So, another piece of this day is for you and me to “GO TELL” what is happening.
It is a time for you and me to stop being silent and speak up and out for all people.

I am so proud of the efforts of the Center For Church and Global Aids.
Full disclosure note- I serve on the Board of Directors.
Additionally, I am very grateful for the leadership of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Episcopal Church. You can learn more about what people of faith are doing to “GO TELL.”


When we celebrate the glorious news of Jesus being born we can talk about anything!

Deck the halls,

rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment