Greetings from Peter Mayer

Monday, December 12, 2011

h2odevos eots 121211 REJOICE ALWAYS




"Through trials and darkness fear and temptation
You look for deliverance and some revelation
With no song of spring you wait for the call
Could there be nothing at all...Oh Sing
Joy joy joy in the morning Joy joy in the afternoon
Joy joy joy for the child is born
This night the promise is given to you"
Sing Joy by Peter Mayer
 

In yesterday's sermon I referred the worshippers to 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24. I likened it to a blueprint. 

My father, Frank, was an architect. I remember as a little boy looking at the blueprints he would create. There was a great deal of detail on each and every page. The blueprints weren't the building of course, but they showed how the workers could put the building together.

St. Paul has created an amazing blueprint for "building each other up" for constructing a joyful self and community this Advent. I encourage you to take a look at the words,

16Rejoice always, 17pray without ceasing, 18give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19Do not quench the Spirit. 20Do not despise the words of prophets, 21but test everything; hold fast to what is good; 22abstain from every form of evil.

23May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.

I asked the congregation to read along with me as we looked at the verses.
So, today,  I need you to help me with this. It's all about reading the blueprints.
Let's read the two words in verse 16:

16 "Rejoice always, Alright, we've heard these words before from here and in other places like Phil. 3:1 and Romans 12:12. And to "rejoice always" means something different from Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" (although that is a very fine song). But, it seems to me that "rejoicing," means finding the joy in it all. I think it can mean, finding the "Light" in the darkness.

Let's read the three words of verse 17:
17pray without ceasing, Good! These words echo Col. 4:2 and Eph. 6:18. As a child and young adult I would hear these verses as a judgment of sorts, that I had to just sit in church and pray 24/7. But, that's a childish view, a simplistic view of prayer. Prayer is talking and listening to God. When we sing carols, when we read Scripture, when we bake cookies for a neighbor, we are praying.
My prayer today is that you follow the star. My hope today is that you enjoy a piece of  bread as we think about making our way to Bethlehem (which means HOUSE OF BREAD).

I'd like for you to intentionally take time to "rejoice always" and "pray without ceasing."

Deck the halls,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment