Greetings from Peter Mayer

Sunday, December 4, 2011

h2odevos eots 120411 2nd Sunday of Advent PROMISES


H2odevos eots 120411 Promises
2nd Sunday of Advent





Peter’s rendition of “The Holly and the Ivy” is a very cool interpretation of that famous carol. I wasn’t aware of it before that both holly and ivy were understood to be fertility symbols. I guess I must have missed that part of the lecture in seminary when we talked about things borrowed from folk/pagan culture. But, if you check the link to the above article you can learn how holy and ivy came to be prominent symbols of the season.

Here’s part of today’s sermon on John the Baptist.

“I like this character of John the Baptist because he is rough and tough. He eats locusts and wild honey. His clothes are a simple cloak of camel’s hair with a belt. If you saw him walking down your street you’d cross over to the other side or maybe even turn around and head out in the opposite direction. In fact, that’s the whole point of his message and ministry. John’s talking point was simple and to the point- “repent” for the Lamb of God is on his way. And “repent” literally means “a changed mind.” So, in other words you and I are headed in one direction, that is what we know and we are called to stop dead in our tracks and GO in the other direction.

As much as I admire John the Baptist I need to confess this morning to you that he scares me just a bit. It is as if he has X-ray vision. Those of you who grew up on comic books know about super heroes who had the amazing power to see through walls or any permanent structure. John the Baptist with his orthodox understanding of God and sinfulness was able to be very concrete when commanding and demanding that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. So, once again he returns to be on point with his message, “REPENT!” He looks at us with those piecing, penetrating eyes and even if he didn’t utter a single word, we know he is calling us to  “REPENT.”  As I said earlier, that means to change one’s mind, to change directions, to head off in a new way.

I’ve shared with you before that whenever I preach a sermon about confessing one’s sins, or the need to repent, to take sin seriously, some people stop me at the door and say, “thank you for that sermon, I just wish that my sister, or my husband or wife would have been here to hear that. Because they need to REPENT.” I always kind of chuckle at that point for if we think the call to repent is only for someone else in our lives, then we’ve missed the point. At the same time, while I take sin seriously and know that you do as well, it is the evangelical Lutheran tradition to take grace even more seriously than sin.
Let me be clear about this. John the Baptist who was a wild-eyed fire breathing, hellfire and damnation preacher was the advance man for Jesus Christ. This Jesus said, “Come to me all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest.” This Jesus was sent by the Father to save the world, not condemn the world. This Father so loves the world that his only Son became the perfect Passover Lamb for our sins, so that we might have life.
This beloved Son died on the cross and rose from the dead so that we might live.”

In this holy season of Advent, as we celebrate “stars + promises” may we be mindful of the promises of the past which are realized in the present and totally fulfilled in the future.

“And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.”Gen 22 KJV

Deck the Halls,
rtg

Sundays and Seasons
Lighting the Advent Wreath: Advent 2
Use this blessing when lighting the first two candles.
Blessed are you, O Lord our God, ruler of the universe.
John the Baptist calls all people to prepare the Lord's way
for the kingdom of heaven is near.
Bless us as we light the candles on this wreath.
Baptize us with the fire of your Spirit,
that we may be a light shining in the darkness
welcoming others as Christ has welcomed us,
for he is our light and our salvation.
Blessed be God forever.

From Sundays and Seasons.com. Copyright 2011 Augsburg Fortress. All rights reserved.
Reprinted by permission under Augsburg Fortress Liturgies Annual License #26681.


No comments:

Post a Comment