Greetings from Peter Mayer

Friday, December 9, 2011

h2odevos eots 120911 A SPACE RESERVED FOR THE MONARCH


H2odevos eots 120911 “A Space Reserved for the Monarch”


I was walking down a busy street in Denver when I saw the sign which read
“Parking for Monarch Only.” A smile immediately came to my face. I thought about this holy season of Advent as a special time to prepare for the coming of the Lord.
I remember as a little boy memorizing the following verse FROM HEAVEN ABOVE

      O dearest Jesus, holy child,
      prepare a bed, soft, undefiled,
      a holy shrine, within my heart,
      that you and I need never part.

Text: Martin Luther, 1483-1546; tr. Lutheran Book of Worship, 1978
© 1978 Lutheran Book of Worship, admin. Augsburg Fortress

That lovely intention is one of the of the “Echoes of the Season that I hear as I make visits to homebound members of our congregation. Another “echo” I am sure that you hear comes from
O Little Town of Bethlehem


      O holy child of Bethlehem,
      descend to us, we pray;
      cast out our sin, and enter in,
      be born in us today.
      We hear the Christmas angels
      the great glad tidings tell;
      oh, come to us, abide with us,
      our Lord Immanuel!

Text: Phillips Brooks, 1835-1893

Both of these carols echo the passionate prayer that there be a space reserved for this monarch lovingly called the Prince of Peace.

Peter texted me the other day that one of the songs on the tour this year that is really getting traction asks the question, “what will Christmas make of you?”  I believe that is really the question. Quite often in the whole discussion about Christmas, while some folks condemn and others affirm the recognition of various faith and religious traditions, as some embrace and others eschew tolerance and diversity, some Christians really play the “victim” card and role. Nate, Noah, Hannah and I are reading a book which is titled
All Things Shining –Reading the Western Classics to Find Meaning in a Secular Age


This past week in the chapter we were discussing (via of conference call) it seemed that the authors said many people often get caught either being totally devoted to a notion of the nostalgic past or a notion of a wonderful future (NOTE:these are my words, not those of the authors and so I could have misunderstood their point). However, it does some to make sense that we are tempted to either live in an idealized past (which for me consisted of Lassie, Bozo, Ozzie and Harriett, of course the Cleavers and BONANZA!) Or at the other end of the spectrum to be so focused on a future which is all full of JETSON type appliances and gadgets coupled with  pseudo-enlightened and faux progressive view of self and the world.

So, I’m intrigued by the question “what will Christmas make of you?” If you’d like to take a turn at answering that, send a note to me at h2odevos@gmail.com

Meanwhile, be sure to reserve a space in your heart for the Monarch.

Deck the Halls,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment