Greetings from Peter Mayer

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

H2odevos eots 12111 Blooms from Brokenness

"Out of a thousand faces you find the light in one
From so many distant places your journey has begun
To find true joy and happiness
To bring new blooms from brokenness
And every day your song be yes
We're touched by the hands of love"




I had an amazing day on Monday. It was full of emotions. There was everything from
"true joy and happiness"-to some deep sadness and brokenness. As a parish pastor I know that folks let you walk with them through good times and bad times. Monday was full of both ends of the spectrum.

I've been doing this "work" for thirty years or so. I've learned a few things along the way. I believe as Peter sings that we've been "touched by the hands of love." I know  there are "new blooms from brokenness." I trust that when we see our day as a "song of yes" as opposed to a "lament of NO" that we truly let our hearts and lights shine. Just as I wrote those words, our power went out in our home. (After some searching around in the dark for a candle, I'm now writing by candlelight and using my lovely MacBook Pro on battery power.
I've experienced the reality that:
  • Weeping may spend the night, but joy comes in the morning (Psalm 30)
  • Nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8)
  • God has a plan for us even when we can't see it or feel it. But, there is a plan for our wellbeing. (Jeremiah 29:11)
  • God is Love! 1 John
Blooms do come from brokenness.


When I was in England in October, I first heard about the Hinton St. Mary Mosaic. In what many people believe is one of the first mosaic images of Christ, he is flanked by pomegranates. There was the understanding in Jewish lore that there are 613 seeds in the pomegranate-one seed for each of the commandments in the Old Testament.

Today I pray that you find the seeds of love, hope and grace that are all around us.

Deck the halls,
rtg

1 comment:

  1. Just beautiful, RTG. Thanks for helping us all look for those blooms.

    Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

    ReplyDelete