Greetings from Peter Mayer

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bridge Building 121509


"Only You can break down the walls that hide me away
Only You can turn the night into day
Only You can stop the darkness from over taking me
Created the land the sky and sea

I know it in my heart to be true
The answer to me is only You

Only You can stand beside me through all my thoughts and deeds
You raised the mighty Redwood from the seed
Only You formed the mountains that stretch to the sky
Cover them with moonlight tonight

I know it in my heart to be true
The answer to me is only You"

Only You by Peter Mayer & Jim Mayer


I was on my way to the YMCA yesterday when I saw the following words of wisdom written on a erasable white board positioned at the foot of the steps leading up to the membership counter at the Y:

"He who can't forgive others destroys the bridge over which he himself must pass" -George Herbert

I thought about those words throughout my workout. During these days and nights of transition it is natural to review the good times as well as the not so good times. I am reflecting on the relationships which have blossomed and grown and consequently some which have withered and died. I like to think of myself as a "bridge builder" and yet those words of Rev. Herbert have been constructive in assisting me to assess if I have been destructive by my own refusal to forgive others in the way I have been forgiven.

I looked up the quote for more information. One source I found gives a little more context, "He that cannot forgive others, breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass if he would ever reach heaven: for everyone has need to be forgiven."

When there is an impasse or lack of progress, I think it is helpful to assess the situation from the perspective of "capacity" and also "volition." In other words, is a person, institution, and congregation "capable" of doing what is asked, expected or required? Do they have the gifts and abilities to do the task or mission? Furthermore, do they have the will, the "gumption" as my grandmother would say, or the "heart" to do it?

So, I need to ask myself those questions in terms of forgiveness. My conclusion is that I have the ability to forgive, and so what keeps me at times from doing it? Well, I must confess in certain instances it is a lack of will or perhaps a sense of fear. Maybe I've spent so much energy on not forgiving that I'm not sure where that energy would be channeled if redirected. It's weird, but I've probably grown attached to the perceived pain or injury by another. And so it's time to be about building bridges, "for everyone has need to be forgiven" including me for my lack of forgiving.

I trust the Stars and Promises pointing to the long awaited Savior of the world will help me re-solve any construction problems I have.

Peace and remember to sing joy

RTG

No comments:

Post a Comment