Greetings from Peter Mayer

Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Good Book 121709 Thursday

"I hear You in the gentle wind blowing through the trees
I hear You whisper in my dreams
Only You conceived the starlight that shimmers through the night
Only You can call me home from this life

I know it in my heart to be true
The answer to me is only You"

Only You by Peter Mayer and Jim Mayer

Sue Ann gave me a copy of the book U2 by U2 for Christmas. In one of the chapters Bono states that Jeremiah 33:3 is "God's phone number."

"Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known." (Jeremiah 33:3)

The Bible is full of "text messages" for our day and age. Sometimes, people tell me they want to read the Bible more, but they don't know where to start. That's a pretty fair point. Often at the beginning of a year people decide to start reading the Bible with the first book of the Bible, namely Genesis. Usually about two weeks into it, they find themselves in the Land of Nod and jettison the project. The Psalms are a good place to start if you are wondering or wandering around for a place to begin. Just start by reading a few of them. The words might connect to you or they may not. But, hang in there, they are the songs of people who were trying to follow God's voice.

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America has a daily Bible email that goes out. You can sign up for it by going to the following link:
http://www.elca.org/What-We-Believe/The-Bible.aspx

Peter sings,
"The word went leaping off the pages
breaking in the windows and leaping over wall
All you asked for was a cool glass of water
And you got a waterfall
God is loose in the world"

Loosen Up and sing joy
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment