Greetings from Peter Mayer

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Table Talk 121909 Saturday


"The song of an angel, good cheer to a stranger
The loved ones you've known all the way
Coming back to the heart of the matter to scatter the whistles
And bells
You're telling the story of Christmas"
The Story of Christmas by Peter Mayer



My family and close friends know that I love the music of Peter Mayer, Bono and Sting. In fact, the word love might be an understatement. After observing me watch and listen non-stop over the past week to Sting's new dvd A Winter's Night-live from Durham Cathedral, Sue Ann used the word obsession. I confess and readily admit my deep admiration, attraction and attention for these artists who so amazingly communicate and engage folks via music. People at church are used to me quoting in sermons from that "great theologian" Bono. And of course, I "sing joy" because Peter and I have been able to collaborate together throughout the years. Tomorrow night Peter will be at Bethany in Denver. I know the Fourth Sunday of Advent is gonna be rockin'.

As much as I love the turn and twists of lyrics and tunes, what really tells the story of Christmas to me is the domestic drama which gets played out at the dining room table. What I'm talking about here is how my dear wife Sue Ann decorates and celebrates this Holy Season by making a place, a cradle, a room for the Christ child to enter in. It's subtle and sometimes I don't notice right away, but each and every day in our lovely home there is a new way she "comes back to the heart of the matter." The table cloth and bowl of stars in the picture has graced our table since the beginning of Advent. Each piece is a memory and a celebration of where we've been together with family and friends. Every crèche, candle and decoration is a reminder of the Reason for the Season.
She clearly and radiantly echoes
"The song of an angel, good cheer to a stranger."

I'd like to "sing joy" like she does,
rtg

1 comment: