Greetings from Peter Mayer

Thursday, December 10, 2009

GOD IS! 121009 Thursday

H2o devos sj 121009 God IS!

“It’s takes a leaving to see where you’ve been for so long
And it’s never quite the same old place you knew
The scenery will change but home will remain
The part of me that still belongs to you
It’s Christmas time I’m coming home to you

We were looking for the hometown of America
Around the world they’re looking just like you
They sent a rocket ship to Mars to investigate the stars
They keep fallingl as we are passing through…this town

We were looking for the main street of America
Looking for the heart of America
We were looking for the hometown of America in this town”
In many parts of our country the weather has been quite cold. The wind blows and you can feel the chill all the way to the bone. It’s cold. At the same time I get these warm reminders and glimpses of my hometown. I think about how when I was a young boy getting ready for Christmas programs, baking cookies, counting down the weeks and days via the Advent wreath, and doing a little Christmas shopping.

Now that I’m an adult I suppose it’s only natural to pick-up and sample nostalgic memories like little bits and pieces of holiday treats. I’m really working on truly being present in my waiting, watching, worshiping and wondering in preparation for the gift of the Holy One born in Bethlehem.

I also look forward to that time of cosmic Christmas when I am reunited (and so are you) with all the loved ones who now celebrate the wedding feast that has no end.

I’ve shared with Caitlin our ministerial intern that on Christmas Eve the task of the preacher is to simply “get out of the way of the Christmas Story from the Gospel of Luke.” Pastor Ruth Ann and I are scheduled to share in the preaching duties at our services on Christmas Eve at 1:30, 3, 5, 7, 9 an 11pm. On Christmas Day we will have a Julotta Service at 6:30am and then Caitlin is the preacher at 10:30am. The gospel lesson for Christmas Day is John 1. We hear in those lovely words a cosmic and galactic rebirth narrative. In essence the story is told like this, “before there ever was God IS!”

Savor that for a bit today,
And remember to sing joy
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment