Greetings from Peter Mayer

Monday, December 10, 2012

Enlighten - h2o devos loc 121012


Only You can break down the walls that hide me away

Only You can turn the night into day

Only You can stop the darkness from over taking me

Created the land the sky and sea
I know it in my heart to be true

The answer to me is only You
Only You can stand beside me through all my thoughts and deeds

You raised the mighty Redwood from the seed

Only You formed the mountains that stretch to the sky

Cover them with moonlight tonight
Only You by Peter Mayer and Jim Mayer

 Picture taken at Natural History Museum- London

If you haven’t seen the Lincoln movie, I encourage you to do so. It’s a powerful experience. What you may not know is that Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin were born on the same day, in the same year, February 12, 1809. In 2009, I was in London as the bicentennial observances were starting to be held (more info HERE).

As we enter our second week of Advent, I find it to be a remarkable spiritual gift to be able to hold or balance seemingly tension filled realities at the same time. And yet, I know that all of you, all of us do this on a daily basis.

When I visited England in 2009 I saw that Darwin was on the Ten Pound Note.  I wondered how that would play if Darwin was on one of our paper bills. It just doesn’t seem to be a possibility given the strong feelings that I’ve seen and heard exhibited over the years.

I was raised in a conservative household where I was taught that the world was created in six days which consisted of 24 hours each. There was no discussion about any other world view except what I would call creationism. Obviously, my world views have expanded since that time.

However, every Sunday, I confess “I believe in God the Father, creator of heaven and earth.”  Every day I am in awe of the wonders of creation and the miracles of science.  I also teach lots of Bible classes where we read the Book of Genesis. I always say the purpose of Genesis is to talk not so much about the “how” but rather the “WHO". I attempt to read books about science, economics and history, as well as theology.

Peter’s song, “Only You” connects to me deep down in my soul.
No matter what, I know God is the answer before I even ask a question.

At the same time, I see and hear quite often statements by people who confess to be Christian who seem caught in some kind of “science versus faith” dichotomy.  I understand it, but I simply don’t get it.

In this season where the Hannukah lights of our friends, neighbors and relatives begin to shine, as Christians gather around the Advent wreath may you experience enlightenment.

 I see a cross in the heavens. What do you see?

Peace,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment