Greetings from Peter Mayer

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Morning Light - h2o devos loc 120212


“Out of night the dawn is breaking”
The Light of Christmas Day by Peter Mayer

Happy Advent. It’s good to be with you again. The theme for our devos this year is “THE LIGHT OF CHRISTMAS.” It also happens to be the theme of Peter Mayer’s Stars and Promises Tour (which you can keep track of by going to www.petermayer.com).  Amazing how it’s all in alignment with each other.

In fact that is also how I see the season of Advent, as a time to be in alignment with the Light of Christ. Advent in my humble opinion is the most counter-cultural season of the church year. While advertisers and stores proclaim the “need” to have more, Advent calls us to “give” more. As we are induced to “shop until we drop” Advent reminds us to “slow down” so that we might experience life to its fullest. As TV and newspapers report on events, which seem to besigns in the sun, the moon, and the stars, and on the earth distress among nations confused by the roaring of the sea and the waves. 26People will faint from fear and foreboding of what is coming upon the world, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken,”  (Luke 21) we are called to have hope, be hope and do hope.

I like to think of the picture at the top of the page as my experience of the “burning bush.” I was on a meditation walk at Plum Village in France in January, 2012. It was quite dark and foggy when the walk began. As I concentrated on my breathing and walking I happened to look up and see the sun. It was as Peter sings,

“Out of night the dawn is breaking”

The message I received that day is one I try to hold onto and also let it hold onto me:

Be still and know that I am God”  (Psalm 46:10).

I know that some of you might be feeling the “night” in your soul. I am hoping and praying that we can make this journey to Bethlehem with each other being led by the LIGHT OF CHRISTMAS.

“Weeping may linger for the night, but joy comes with the morning.”  
 (Psalm 30:5)


Celebrate Morning Light
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment