Greetings from Peter Mayer

Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Light of the People - h2o devos loc 121312

Through the shadows of our longing
Comes the Son of Truth to save
Every hill and valley dawning
With the brightness of this day
Gloria for joy we sing
For Jesus Christ the Light of Christmas Day
The Light of Christmas Day  by Peter Mayer


St. Lucy by Francisco de Zurbaran
+ Lucy + 304

What is it that she has on her plate? Check out the answer HERE.

In November while visiting my son, Nate in DC, I spent some time at the National Gallery. This painting caught my eye for a couple of reasons. I know the story of St. Lucy, the martyr that we honor on this day.  More history  HERE and a favorite recipe HERE.

As close and careful readers of these devos might have suspected for the past couple of days I’ve been struggling with a couple of issues, (1) a burgeoning sinus infection and (2) plus seasonal vocational questions which come with the territory. I have also been buoyed by the “light of the people” as I go about making home communion visits. Additionally, I daily experience the warmth and love of my dear wife, Sue Ann.

It seems to me that the “light of the people” comes from the Light of Jesus.

A couple of weeks ago, a colleague of mine was visiting from Chicago and the server at this particular restaurant that we were eating at had the name “Jesus” on his shirt. I told him that I was a Lutheran pastor and was delighted to have Jesus serving me. His eyes danced and lit up the room.  I told him that I wanted to share his picture with some of my friends. 

So, here it is.

I mean what if everyone we interacted with had a name tag with the name “Jesus” on it. If our eyes saw each other as God sees us, wouldn’t that light up our worlds?

Peace,
RTG

No comments:

Post a Comment