Greetings from Peter Mayer

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Highlight - h2o devos loc 120412

+John of Damascus, 749+

“Through the shadows of our longing

Comes the Son of truth to save”
The Light of Christmas Day by Peter Mayer

Damascus, it’s in the news these days. We pray for all the people afflicted by the conflicts in Syria. On this date the church give thanks for the witness of John of Damascus. At a time in the church when religious images/icons were outlawed, John of Damascus articulated a policy of veneration. You can read more about his life and work HERE.

One of the Highlights of my sabbatical was going to art museums in London and Paris. My flat in London was right behind the National Gallery. http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/

Some days I would “pop-in” for just 30 minutes or so, just because I could. You can take the “Nativities Trail” by linking HERE.

I was guided in my wanderings and wonderings by a fabulous book written by Rev’d Bishop Nicholas Holtam, who is now the Bishop of Salisbury. Bishop Holtam previously served as Vicar of St. Martin - in -the -Fields (which is where I got to meet him and know him). His book, The Art of Worship co-published by the National Gallery and Yale University Press is also the basis and focus of our Lenten Retreat at church in February, 2013.

The subtitle of this lovely book is, Paintings, Prayers and Readings for Meditation. Had not the work of John of Damascus “turned the tide” back in the 8th Century, this book would never has seen the “light of day.”

Many days when I was “hungry” I would go to the National Gallery. While I could have consumed more fish and chips what I was truly hungry for was an encounter with the Bread of Life, Jesus Christ. In addition to my daily participation in Morning Prayer at St. Martin’s, I was “fed” by the wonderful paintings in the National Gallery.

Peter is so “spot on” (as the British like to say) when he sings,

“Through the shadows of our longing

Comes the Son of truth to save”

I was able to experience the “Son of truth” by wondering around the National Gallery.

Today, I encourage you to “highlight” an artwork in your life that has meant something significant to you. Acknowledge the “shadows” and bask in the Light. The Son of truth is on his way!

Peace,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment