Greetings from Peter Mayer

Monday, December 3, 2012

Flashlight - h2o devos loc 120312


 
“Quiet night the darkness gathers

Shepherds and their flocks behold

O’er a world so torn and tattered

Shines the star of grace foretold”
The Light of Christmas Day by Peter Mayer




 + Francis Xavier,1552+

Advent is a time for counting down the days until Christmas. So, just three weeks from today is Christmas Eve. As we spend some time on December 3 (which is the saint’s day of Francis Xavier, co-founder of the Jesuits) I also want to remind you that 18 days from today is National Flashlight Day. While, I have never observed this day in the past I do believe that this year I’m going to illuminate it as much as I can.

I’m taken with the image of the flashlight today because one of the key values of the Jesuits is “FINDING GOD IN ALL THINGS”.
This may be the one phrase that sums up Ignatian Spirituality. It invites a person to search for and find God in every circumstance of life; God is present everywhere and can be found in all of creation.” Source- Regis University Website.
It is a Peter sings being able to recognize and see that
“O’er a world so torn and tattered

Shines the star of grace foretold”.

Now, I need to make a disclaimer here, for many years the Jesuits and the Lutherans did not get along with each other. Check out the “Tumult of Thorn” HERE
Yet, I also want to point out that for me during the past two decades of my life I have benefited from Spiritual Direction by Jesuits. My wife, Sue Ann has received two degrees from the Jesuits, a BSN at St. Louis University and a MS from Regis University in Denver. So, I should probably get a bumper sticker that reads “I heart Jesuits.”
What I like about the Jesuits is their ability to see Light in the world. They have the awareness to see God in all things. Jesus said, In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16)

Even though it’s a few weeks until National Flashlight Day (Dec. 21) I encourage you to be a “flashlight” today. “Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.”

Shine on,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment