Greetings from Peter Mayer

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Lord, Light My Way - h2o devos loc 121212

-->
 Oh Lord Light my way, 

Love light my way

Together now we pray
, 
Oh Lord Light my way
Rest will follow labors,  
hope will answer fear

The harvest of our laughter, 
for the seeds we sow in tears

We work, we worry, strive for faith,  
Lord light my way

And all the while we’re in the 
arms of love we can’t escape
Beside us to stay

Surprised us with grace

Recognized us for who we are 
and whose we are by name
Lord, Light My Way by Peter Mayer

Peter’s song is a benediction. In other words, it’s a “good word.”  Every once in a while we need a good “spiritual kick in the pants.” What I mean by that is sometimes due to our own self-imposed need to hyper-function, we act and maybe even believe that it is up to us.

But, in reality, not in some make-believe state we are gently reminded often through our own shortcomings, foibles, peccadillos, brokenness and even sins, that we can’t do it by ourselves. It is as Peter sings, “we work, we worry, strive for faith.”

So, then our prayer comes, “Lord, Light my way.”  Often that prayer is offered in darkness. For whatever reason, we can’t seem to find our way.

I’ve been thinking a lot this year about an exhibit at the Denver Art Museum. It is entitled Becoming Van Gogh.  I like it so much that I’ve gone to it five times!

The show is all about the process of Van Gogh becoming the artist that he became.  As I think about process, growth and development it becomes apparent to me how important it is to focus on the basics.

So, here goes. Jesus is Light. The Light no darkness can overcome.

Lord, Light my way
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment