Greetings from Peter Mayer

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Energy h2o devos fia 040311 4th Sunday in Lent

H2o devos fia 040311 Energy
Fourth Sunday in Lent



“Only You can break down the walls that hide me away
Only You can turn the night into day
Only You can stop the darkness from over taking me
Created the land the sky and sea
I know it in my heart to be true
The answer to me is only You”

www.petermayer.com/songs/only-you

Jane E. Brody of the NYTIMES has a column called Personal Health. In her column of January 31, 2011 “Scientists See Dangers in Energy Drinks” there is plenty of info regarding the current state of conversation about “energy drinks.” www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/health/01brody.html

Now in the spirit of full disclosure my favorite delivery system for caffeine is coffee. I don’t normally drink soda or pop, but I like coffee. In fact, I LOVE coffee. And I was quite interested that this conversation about “caffeine” in drinks has been going on for at least 100 years. www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/health/29caffeine.html

Today is the Fourth Sunday in Lent. We are more than half way to Easter. In about 21 days our outlook and perspective will be renewed and refreshed. But, today, this day, I’m thinking and praying about “Energy” as we start our contemplation this week on The Blessing of Being Un-Plugged. The big idea is “Un-plug in order to Re-Charge.” I acknowledge the seemingly counter intuitive nature of that idea, in other words, “disconnect” in order that one might have more “Energy” or power. Can that actually happen, I mean, “Un-plug in order to Re-Charge?”
St. Paul was a complex guy. But, there are sometimes when because of his struggles it seems that our struggles have more clarity and light. In 2 Corinthians 12 he writes about his “thorn in the flesh.” Now, scholars aren't sure what his “problem” or “issue” was (and you can make your own guesses) but something was zapping his “Energy.” 8Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, 9but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.

St. Paul “un-plugged in order to Re-Charge.”

There are lots of “energy drinks” out there in the grocery store and in the “spiritual landscape.” In other words, there are lots of products, systems, techniques and programs which promise a form of energy and life. But Peter sings about the answer to the questions. Peter reminds us that Living h2o comes from Jesus.

“Only You can break down the walls that hide me away
Only You can turn the night into day
Only You can stop the darkness from over taking me
Created the land the sky and sea
I know it in my heart to be true
The answer to me is only You”

Jesus said in Matthew 11:28
”Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”
I echo the words of the psalmist who sang,
“taste and see that the Lord is good” (Psalm 34).
Rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment