Greetings from Peter Mayer

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Growth h2o devos fia 041711 PALM SUNDAY

H2o devos fia 041711 Growth
Palm Sunday, Passion Sunday



“Follow me to the place where dreams come true
Follow me and we can see this through
Follow me until the end on this you can depend
Follow me and I will follow you
Follow me down the long and lonely road
When I'm lost and the night is black as coal
Follow me until the end on this you can depend
Follow me and I will follow you
And I'm depending on you
And I'll be looking out for you
Be it near or be it far
By a river or under a star
Follow me and I will follow you”

www.petermayer.com/songs/follow-me

The wings of “Growth” are horse shoes. It’s appropriate that we contemplate on something so foundational and down to earth as horse shoes on this day of Christ’s entry into Jerusalem. Foundational and down to earth is what this day, Palm Sunday or Passion Sunday is all about. Jesus comes into town riding on a donkey. By Friday, that day we call “Good” Jesus is crucified on a cross. We wonder how it all transpired so quickly.
All sorts of different roles come to mind, hero, rebel, Messiah, subversive, criminal, Lamb of God.

The next two photos are from an exhibit in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
The exhibit represents the simplicity of the mission and ministry of Christ, as well as the Royal robes and garments of the representatives of the Church of Christ. The items are from a period of time, 1300-1500. In the side view we see a cross in the background.
Jesus’ love of humanity was so foundational and down to earth that he made the entry into Jerusalem knowing that he would be the Perfect Passover Lamb.




One of the followers of Jesus anointed his feet at dinner. This action portrayed in a choir book from 1380 (also at the Victoria and Albert Museum) shows this colorful event..



Here this woman, a follower of Jesus assumes the role of a prophet and anoints Jesus as “king.” He wasn’t going to be a king in the normal sense of the word. She also wasn’t a prophet in the normal sense of the word. This king would be more like a pauper. In fact, he trades places with all the paupers of the world (you and me). Martin Luther is reported to have said on his death bed, “yes, we are all beggars.” And so we go through this holiest of all weeks with our hats in our hands. Our hands are open to receive the gift of grace, forgiveness and new life.

Peter sings,

“Follow me down the long and lonely road
When I'm lost and the night is black as coal
Follow me until the end on this you can depend
Follow me and I will follow you”

Hey, everyone loves a parade!
Peace,
RTG
Ps here is a photo of fresh baked pretzels

2 comments:

  1. RTG - Thanks for Peter's song!!!! I like his words a lot! Also, love those pretzels! Missing you and Sue Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Christie, I loved your "waiting" article i the Star Tribune.

    ReplyDelete