Greetings from Peter Mayer

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Patience h2o devos fia 040511

H2o devos fia 040511 Patience


“While speed is not listed as one of the ‘fruits’ of the Spirit in Galations 5:22, patience is.” Kirk Byron Jones

“They say Joy will be
Just around the bend
‘Til I'm there
It's good to have a friend”

www.petermayer.com/songs/good-to-have-a-friend

This week our Lenten journey takes us to The Blessing of being Un-plugged. Our big idea is “Un-plug in order to Re-Charge.”




I need to grow in my ability to be a more patient person. I remember that my first modem had a baud rate of 2500. Of course, that was back in 1988. I remember what a marvel and miracle it seemed to be. It was fast enough back then, but today it’s not even in the ballpark.

Kirk Byron Jones writes in Addicted to Hurry, “Patience is a necessary tool for living in a world characterized by increasing complexity and paradox. Without patience, despair and cynicism become our most preferred options. Patience-alert waiting-readies us for creative breakthrough and imaginative problem solving (p.9).
“By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness,” (Gal 5:22)
I often comment to folks that when we are anxious or hurried in our minds about healing or recovery that most of us deep down in our hearts want what I refer to as Mc-healing or Mc-recovery. In other words we think it should be “fast” just like “fast food.” But, you know as well as I do that healing and recovery takes “Patience.”
Today I am connecting the notion of “Patience” with the idea of friend. For I truly believe that a friend is someone who reveals their patient side with us. They give us time to sputter and putter around. They give us a space and place to blossom and grow. A friend is patient. A friend is kind. A friend is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude.
4Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant 5or rude” (1 Cor 13)
Today I hope that my friends remind me of the angel of “Patience.” Today I am going to dis-connect some of my dependency on hurry and slow down.
Peter is right when he sings,
“It's good to have a friend”
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment