Greetings from Peter Mayer

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

WISDOM + UNDERSTANDING h2o devos fia 040611

H2o devos fia 040611 Wisdom + Understanding

Wisdom

Understanding



“Heaven help us all
If we should fall from Love
Heaven help us all
If we should fall from Love”

www.petermayer.com/songs/heaven-help-us

I was out making home visits today. At one facility three health care attendants came into the room that I was visiting because the resident had told them that her pastor was coming to visit. As we sat there for a couple of moments in awkward silence I asked the three workers what it was they needed or wanted. The first one said, “I need a prayer for my husband and for my mother.” The next one chimed in and said, “I too want a prayer for my mother and for me, too.” The third one was quiet. And so I asked if we all could grab hands, making a circle or more accurately an oval. We prayed a simple prayer as I just recited what had been told me while repeating their names and their requests.
There was an amazing sense of energy and joy in the room. What had been filled awkwardness and shyness (both mine and that of the health care attendants) had been transformed in the hands of God’s love and grace. The resident had been talking about God and her church. She would be surprised to imagine herself as an evangelist, but that is how I see her. She is a “good newser.”

I am always mindful of the words of St. Paul in Romans 8:26,
“Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words.”

This devo entitled, “Wisdom and Understanding” is as they say, a “two-fer.”
It is going to be for TWO days, today and tomorrow. The reason that it is a “two-fer” is that at 9 pm tonight, Wednesday night, I’m gonna go UN-plug in order to recharge. That’s right, I’m going to experience and learn about The Blessing of Being Un-plugged.

At baptism we pray for the gifts of the Spirit:
“The spirit of the LORD shall rest on him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.”

Isaiah 11:2

It takes “Wisdom + Understanding” to be a faithful person in our world today. I’ve unplugged before, but I ask that for this 24 hour period that you pray for me to receive a portion of “Wisdom + Understanding.” I want you to know that I’m going to be praying for you.
As Peter sings,

“Heaven help us all
If we should fall from Love
Heaven help us all
If we should fall from Love”

peace,
rtg
ps I’m going to write Friday’s devo on Wednesday and send it to Cynthia on Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment