Greetings from Peter Mayer

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Baking


H2odevos p4p Lent 2013
Holy Saturday


“Welcome child into our family
Washed in water, reborn and free
A sign on your forehead and your heart
The cross that never will depart
Allelujah Allelujah
Allelujah come and sing

Chorus
Stirrin’ up the water
Stirrin’ up my soul
A Light comes to the darkness
Come and make me whole
Oh Stir it up, stir it up, Oh Lord”


I’m making hot cross buns today. It’s something I started doing many years ago with our daughter Hannah Grace. There is something sweet and holy about the whole process.
Right now, I’ve got four different batches going. So, that will make about four dozen buns. It’s about a 2.5 hour process, but it’s worth every minute of it. As I mix up the recipe, I think and pray about the past two days. Going from the upper room, to the garden, to the courtyard, to the palaces of power and then to Calvary.

Here is a cool article about hot cross buns.

In order to mix the dough just right, I’ve got to get my hands into it. Having done this for so many years, I have a “feel” for when it’s just “right.” The aroma of the nutmeg, cinnamon and all spices make me think of the spices that the original “Spice Girls” took to the tomb. Right now the mix is in the process of rising. I’ve gotten over my impatience of wishing that it would simply “Mc-Rise.” But, you know, I don’t know that I’ve overcome my impatience for my own ability to “rise” above it all.

Peter’s song is what Easter is all about. Of course it’s about baptism, first communion, dying and rising, eating and drinking in remembrance of the ONE who is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

Our congregation recently made a baptism video with help of Tim Frakes. You might want to check out this seven-minute piece.

And while you’re at it, have a hot cross bun.

Peace,
rtg


No comments:

Post a Comment