Greetings from Peter Mayer

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

“When You are In Need of a Shepherd”

H2odevos p4p Lent 2013 “When You are In Need of a Shepherd”



"What if Love was a shepherd's eye
Could see one lost for the ninety nine
And Faith and hope were a tiny seed
That could bloom into a family tree?"

Still In One Peace by Peter Mayer

It might be due to the fact that I've been reading The Hobbit over the past few days. You see, we have fixed our Lenten theme to be "All Things Being Made New" - Experiencing God Through Art. You can check out our Lenten Mentoring booklet here.  Joni Grundman put together this great guide for us to follow along the way.

I'm sure I read The Hobbit sometime between seventh grade and my sophomore year of high school, but I can't recall the exact time. I told Sue Ann, "I'm sure I was told to do it, and I always did what I was told to do."  I will refrain from sharing with you what her comment was %^)). Anyway, because I am preaching on it on Wednesday, I figured I better get my act together.

What has been stirring around in my heart and soul these past few days of attending a family wedding, traveling and reading The Hobbit is, of course, the notion of being on a quest, a mission (aka the Blues Brothers), a journey that is full of twists and turns along the way. In the midst of all of that (which is substantial) is the potential to become lost and afraid. Just a few moments ago I was thinking about how prevalent and powerful fear is. It can bring one to their knees. It can immobilize you. It can cause one to let go of love. It may even make you turn your head to backwards which might result in turning into a pillar of salt.
  

So, there come those times in life and death when one needs a shepherd. A guide who is committed to helping one stay on the right path, or better yet, a path of righteousness.

The following words give me a sense of freedom and comfort:

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away - and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. 14I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd." John 10

4Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it? 5When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and rejoices. 6And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.' 7Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance. Luke 15

Blessings today as you think and pray about such good news.

rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment