Greetings from Peter Mayer

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Twist and Shout


H2odevos p4p Lent 2013 “Twist and Shout”




I take great delight in making pretzels. I suppose it has something to do with my love of food coupled with my memories of my mother and grandmothers cooking and baking in the kitchen. They taught me how to cook and bake. Over the years I’ve found that the way to many a parishioner’s heart is through their stomach. One’s soul must be close to the heart and stomach. I know it is for me.

I also remember the first time I ever heard the Beatles sing, “Twist and Shout.” I wasn’t sure what it was, but I’m pretty sure I knew that I liked it. However, I also know there was some pretty significant pressure coming from the likes of parents and teachers at school to not like the Beatles. And then John made the quote about Jesus (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Lennon), and then I had to take my Beatle cards and some other things and toss them into the fire.

So, here it is many, many years later. I’m making pretzels, “twisting and shouting” and attempting to lead people through the mysteries and passion of Christ.

There aren’t too many passages in the Bible which use the word “twist.” Many of the passages which do talk about “twisted linen” for the sanctuary of God. So, it was rather startling when I found verses from the passion narratives in the Gospel that state they “twisted” thorns for a crown.

17”And they clothed him in a purple cloak; and after twisting some thorns into a crown, they put it on him.” Mark 15:17

There are far more passages which encourage and extol the followers of God to “shout” it out!

Psalm 47:1  “
Clap your hands, all you peoples;
shout to God with loud songs of joy.”
And so we find ourselves in this holy season meditating on Christ’s passion and love for us all. Which when you think about it is really something to shout about.
Peace,
rtg



No comments:

Post a Comment