Greetings from Peter Mayer

Friday, March 1, 2013

When You Got to Unplug


H2odevos p4p Lent 2013 “When You Got To Unplug”

March 1-2, National Day of Unplugging


"Believe, be Light, be Love just because
All along you've belonged
In this love song
This now, befriend
Come what may, with your heart begin
Believe Be Light Be Love"
Be Etc by Peter Mayer


I learned about the National Day of Unplugging from the good people at
Sabbath Manifesto. Here are their principles. So, obviously since I am writing this, sending it, recording it and hopefully you are reading it, maybe today isn't the day to declare your Sabbath from things that are "plugged" in. And yet, maybe this evening or tomorrow you can hit the "pause" button and give yourself and those around you some "unplugged" time.

I am taken by principles 6-10. These really reflect the observance of Shabbat. Additionally, they can be seen or experienced in what Christian worship is based upon as the community gathers to give back, there are times to speak and to listen, the blessing of the bread and the wine, the remembering, the eating and drinking together (often by candlelight). 

Avoid technology.
Connect with loved ones.
Nurture your health.
Get outside.
Avoid commerce.
Light candles.
Drink wine.
Eat bread.
Find silence.
10 Give back.
Principles 1-5 are great places to start slowing down and just "be-ing."
Thursday is my primary day to experience rest and renewal. I wish I could say that I practice all ten of these principles. I wish I could say I observe 50% of them on a frequent basis. But, I don't. However, I think I am learning to do this with the help of family, friends and colleagues.

For me, baking bread is a real good way to get in touch with my heart.
  
Father Dom has written something like, "Baking bread is better than aromatherapy because you shouldn't eat your candle." How cool is that?

So, today or tomorrow, why not celebrate the "be-ing" parts of you?

Blessings,
Rtg

PS:  Since we're observing unplugging day, we will be off on Saturday, but back on the Third Sunday in Lent.



No comments:

Post a Comment