Greetings from Peter Mayer

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Be



“Believe, be Light, be Love just because
All along you've belonged
In this love song
This now, befriend
Come what may, with your heart begin
Believe Be Light Be Love"
Be Etc. by Peter Mayer 

Tonight we are supposed to "Spring Forward" our clocks one hour. I much prefer the "Fall Back" portion of this equation, because it seems that it takes much longer to adjust to the "loss" of 60 minutes than it does to deal with the "gain" of an hour in the fall.

Being cognizant of "losing" an hour tonight makes me feel somewhat unsettled and hurried. So I started making my "to-do" list. But then Peter's words come to my mind and remind me to just "be." Of course, some of you Type A people might suggest that it takes some "doing" just for you "to be." Perhaps that is right because we are rather programmed to "do."  Especially if you are a professional church worker or highly involved in volunteer activities at church or other non-profits. Peter's song is inspired by St. Paul's lovely little text message to the Ephesians,

"8For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God."

I believe that I've heard the following question several times leading up to Lent and then for the past few days: "What are you doing for Lent?" It is usually attached to another question: "What are you giving up for Lent?" And while voluntarily giving up something for Lent is a wonderful tradition, lately it seems that we often want to give up something that we should have given up anyway (whether it is Lent or not). I'd like for us to think about this question: "What is it that you will Be for Lent?

I'd like to try this Lent to follow Peter's invitation,
"Believe Be Light Be Love."

So that when doubt and cynicism creeps in, that I would believe.

So that when there is darkness and the absence
 of hospitality and warmth, that I would be light.

And when there is hatred and fear, that I would have the courage to be love.

"Believe, be Light, be Love just because"

Peace,

rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment