Greetings from Peter Mayer

Friday, March 28, 2014

Waterfall


“Waterfall drink your fill

Washing over you it spills

Night and day it’s runnin’ wild

We’re born to be a river child
Tossed about like a toy

From the badlands to good soil

We could’ve never bargained for

This mighty ride of Joy
This is Love that’s been spilled

This is grace that is willed

Every empty heart be filled

Waterfall waterfall”

Waterfall by Peter Mayer, Brendan Mayer + Adam Guth

It’s all about baptism. I was in a museum dedicated to ancient manuscripts. This particular place was built to house “texts” long before the word “text” became a verb.

It is really a temple for the written word. The benefactor collected sacred texts of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. I spent quite a bit of time just wandering around and looking at these magnificent books, scrolls and drawings.

Just as I was leaving the building, my eye was drawn to the lovely display of water.  I thought to myself, “Wow, if I was in charge of church architecture I’d want every worship space to have significant sacred space dedicated to a water exhibition."

For me, it’s all about baptism. It tells us who we are and whose we are. Peter calls us “river children” for it is “love that’s been spilled, this is grace that is willed, Every empty heart be filled.”

Celebrate the gift of water today and every day.

Peace,

Rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment