Greetings from Peter Mayer

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Strength

"Strength" created by Delia Stewart

 Longer than shadows
Closer than emptiness
Oh.... Mighty this love
Oh.... Mighty this love

It led me to peace at the river
It woke me in the rage of the wind
Called me up to the mountain back through the valley again




 **THIS IS AN ENCORE DEVO, FIRST PUBLISHED MARCH 29, 2011**


 At the same time there is something ironic and holy about a "stained glass clown."  Usually only very serious people get their image made into a stained glass window.  I remember as a child looking at all sorts of stained glass windows (primarily in churches). I don't ever remember anyone ever being depicted as smiling. In fact, in most cases the images were of martyrs who were giving up their life for the sake of the gospel.

So this stained glass clown (a gift from my wife Sue Ann, given to me 30 years ago when I was ordained) captures the "foolishness of the gospel." Designed by seminary classmate David Rumbold, it features big green hair; a large red nose; a great smile; a cross and a rainbow. Contrary to popular belief, I was not the model for the clown!   %^))))

The clown reflects the words of St. Paul who wrote to the Corinthians in chapter 1:25,

"For God's foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God's weakness is stronger than human strength."

Delia's angel "Strength" coupled with the lyrics of Peter's song reflect the whole notion of strength and weakness. God's love, as Peter sings, is "Mighty." At times it might appear to be "weak" or even "foolish," but it is "Mighty." In the midst of whatever struggles we are going through, we are connected by a "chain of love" which connects us to God, to one another, to the past and to the future.

Peter's song and Delia's "Strength" echo the lovely words from Isaiah 55:

8For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD.   
9For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts. 
10For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
and do not return there until they have watered the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, 
11so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the thing for which I sent it. 
12For you shall go out in joy,
and be led back in peace;
the mountains and the hills before you
shall burst into song,
and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
 

I pray that today you will experience "Strength" in new, different and even funny ways.

Peace,
rtg


No comments:

Post a Comment