Greetings from Peter Mayer

Friday, March 21, 2014

Break the Bread


"Pass it on
Break the bread,
lift the cup
Pass it on
The broken will be lifted up

Every gift grand and lowly
Every purpose great and small
At this feast they are made holy
By your name you have been called
By your name you have been called"

Pass It On by Peter Mayer/Patricia O'Reilly


I was visiting Gail and John when I noticed the beautiful needlepoint on the wall.

"A crust that's shared is finer food than banquet served in solitude."

I immediately asked if I could take a picture of it because it just seemed to say something so authentic. Of course, it rings true with what we say and feel about the Lord's Supper, Holy Communion, the Sacrament of the Altar and Eucharist, "Taste and see that the Lord is good." (Psalm 34)

I mentioned this past Sunday during our First Communion training experience that I love the idea of inviting people to "taste," which is one sense, in order that they might "see," which is another sense.

Coming together to "break bread" makes a feast of the water, flour, salt and yeast. Yesterday was baking day at the Glusenkamp house.


I baked a recipe I have been tinkering with for over thirty years. It comes from a Mennonite Cookbook and features four flours: whole wheat, white, rye and soy (and I threw in some barely flour just for fun).

I'm not sure I totally understand the significance of the following sign which I saw at Plum Village near Bordeaux, France. But, I am captivated by what it might mean for us if we took it to heart.


Blessings to you today as you "break bread."
Peace,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment