Greetings from Peter Mayer

Monday, March 17, 2014

Good to Have a Friend



“You’re an Angel waiting on her wings

Getting by on what each new day brings

I’m a silent prayer waiting for a voice

I sing because I have no other choice
Don’t know what will be

Just around the bend

‘Til I’m there

It’s good to have a friend

So good to have my friend”

Good To Have  A Friend  by David Bailey and Peter Mayer



Sue Ann and I were recently in Dublin. We traveled outside of the city and saw this great statue of St. Patrick. So, Happy St. Patrick’s Day. I hope you all have a safe, wonderful, blessed and joyful day.

If I could I’d send each and everyone one of you a loaf of some Irish Soda Bread. I recently baked some on my Traeger Grill. It came out very nice. 


It’s a simple recipe and if you’d like to get a copy of it, just drop me a note

Peter sings about how good it is to have a friend.  If you are fortunate to have a dear friend or friends, you know what a true statement that is. I’d also add how good it is to be a friend.

Sunday was a marvelous day. It was a full day at church. We had the Bethany College Choir as our guests at two services. Following worship we had part one of our First Communion experience event. We had three rotations: (1) Baptism; (2) Passover and (3) Communion. I led the session on Holy Communion. During our time together we talk about forgiveness of sins; grace; hope; and eating. I shared with the students and their parents that one of my favorite words is “Companion.” Right there in the middle of that word is the word for bread, “Pan.” A companion is literally “someone who breaks bread with you.” Jesus calls us to be companions, to be friends (John 15:15)

Yesterday in church we heard these words in the Gospel lesson, 

“14And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.  16For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.”


May you celebrate a good friend today.
May you be a good friend to someone today.
May you enjoy love and happiness today.


Here’s a  lovely Irish Blessing for you, dear friends:

“May the road rise up to meet you

May the wind be always at your back

May the sun shine warm upon your face

And the rain fall soft upon your fields

And until we meet again

May God hold you in the palm of his hand”
Peace,

rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment