Greetings from Peter Mayer

Saturday, March 3, 2012

h2odevos encores 030312 Rejoicing Refrains


Refrain

"Ever walk with me Lord
Each night and day a rejoicing
With kindness the harmony, justice the beat
You've turned my footsteps to dancing
Oh Ever walk with me Lord"

Ever Walk with Me Lord by Peter Mayer

While waiting for the elevator to get onto the tram to get in the line for security in order to board the plane to Miami, I took the blue reminder slip so upon my return to Minneapolis I can find my car in the parking ramp. In fact, I took two of the slips because I have the tendency to be the forgetful or absent minded traveler. I have found those slips to be excellent tools in helping me remember where it was that I was. I figure if I can get back to where I was, then I will also be able to get to where I want to be. 

I'm intrigued by the idea of a refrain in a song. The idea that a word which can mean "stop" can also signify a pause to go back and repeat some lines is very helpful as we enter the [eleventh] day of our Lenten pilgrimage. This lovely refrain in Peter's song is a glorious reminder slip, especially if you've been "blue" lately or if situations and circumstances  have caused you to refrain from rejoicing. The word refrain is derived from a Latin word refrangere meaning to "break off" coupled with a hint to "repeat."

"Ever walk with me Lord
Each night and day a rejoicing"

So, I want to encourage you today to have Rejoicing Refrains. In other words, when you are confronted with certain situations or behaviors today, that you refrain, i.e. take a pause and go back and rejoice. Refrain from hurting  when you have been hurt, refrain from those behaviors which are not healthy to you as an individual or for the community, and Rejoice with the hope and certainty that God walks with us on this journey. I suggest you hold this idea like a reminder slip.  It will help you figure out where you were and also where you want to be. And in turn, it will also orient you in your current position and location.

"He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"  Micah 6:8

Peace,
rtg

P.S.  If you happen to miss a devotion, they are posted each day at http://h2odevos.blogspot.com/

If you want to know more about the music of Peter Mayer, check out www.petermayer.com

If you are beginning to take steps on increasing physical activity, check out www.americaonthemove.org.  This is an amazing resource when it comes to counting steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment