Greetings from Peter Mayer

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

h2odevos encores 030612 Mountains



“You can hide 
You can die of thirst by the river side  
Don’t leave me out on the blue river  
You can run, You can hide  
You can live your life by what’s denied, now  
Don’t leave me waiting on the blue river

Save your strength for the good fight
Save your tears for the sorrow
Spend you love it’s alright
Before it’s gone gone gone tomorrow

For the day will come when you leave this dusty town
And your cross will take its place by your father’s in the ground
Love is not just a fable that Hollywood bought and sold
Oh, let me tell you now love is the only road”
 

Blue River  by Peter Mayer and Vince Varvel

“Love is the only road.” We’re on that road this week. It is the road of love that goes up and down through the mountains and valleys of our lives, our hopes, our fears, our deepest emotions and desires.

In the courtyard of our church one can look west and see the mountains. Now, I grew up in Fort Wayne which is according to two reliable sources, either 790 feet above sea level or 810 feet above sea level. So, we’ll split the difference and say on average 800 feet above sea level. So, seeing mountains was not part of my perspective or vision as a child growing up. Nowadays I can see the mountains each and every day. And I have asked God to remind me (with like a lightening bolt) of how majestic and awesome these mountains are, just in case I ever become immune to their grace and glory. If I ever stop having to catch my breath when I see them, then I want God to stop me in my tracks because I have become blind to beauty and wonder. If I ever say or think, “oh yea, those are the mountains, then there’s something wrong with me.”

Maybe there is a “mountain” in your life that has become blasé to you. Perhaps it is so much a part of your daily landscape that you don’t even see it or admire it any more. Maybe this “mountain” isn’t even something geographical, perhaps it’s someone personal. And yet, because of the years, or weather, or situations, or pain or myopia you don’t see the wonder, the awesomeness, the love and grace right before your eyes.

The psalmist sang,

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills —
      from where will my help come?
2 My help comes from the LORD,
      who made heaven and earth.
3 He will not let your foot be moved;
      he who keeps you will not slumber.
4 He who keeps Israel
      will neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The LORD is your keeper;
      the LORD is your shade at your right hand.
6 The sun shall not strike you by day,
      nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD will keep you from all evil;
      he will keep your life.
8 The LORD will keep
      your going out and your coming in
      from this time on and forevermore. (Psalm 121)

“Oh, let me tell you now love is the only road”

peace,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment