Greetings from Peter Mayer

Monday, March 5, 2012

h2odevos encores 030512 Spinning



"We are joy, we are broken pieces
Upon a spinning, changing world we are borne
But for the love that will not release us
Our rock of ages and our carry home
And we'll sing it to the hills and valleys
From every land 'cross every sea
We will sing it when our hearts are breaking
And rejoice in a final victory"

We Are Changed by Peter Mayer

I don't think you could describe what I was doing on the tricycle as "spinning."  However, I do really love to ride my road bike. It's something that I've tried to do on a frequent basis for about the past 25 years. I think I came to the conclusion that in my vocation one needs to have a regular form of exercise. I also decided at that time it was important for me to have a form of physical activity that I could do by myself or with others and at the spur of a moment. So, in other words, no court costs, greens fees or even tee times. I've done Ragbrai three times (the ride across Iowa), ridden across Missouri on the Katy Trail and trekked from St. Louis to Minneapolis along the Great River Road.

Some of my most spiritual moments have taken place while I've been cycling.

I often thinking of a routine cycling path as being quite similar to the liturgy. There is a pattern and rhythm to what one does. Sometimes you can even "daydream" a little bit and find yourself at a point in the service or on the ride without having "realized" that one has gone through previous checkpoints. At other times due to fatigue or weather it is a struggle at every inch of the way.

Peter is so right when he sings,
"We are joy, we are broken pieces
Upon a spinning, changing world we are borne
But for the love that will not release us
Our rock of ages and our carry home"

As I grow in years and (hopefully in faith) I am drawn to the comforting words regarding the Rock of Ages. There is a great deal of change and transition in our world and lives.

And yet, there is a foundation, a basis, a holy certainty and stability which is the amazing love of God which holds onto us even when we might not want to be held or feel perhaps that we're not worthy or deserving of such love.

There's lots of spinning going on. 
And thank God there is lots of loving circling around us as well.

Peace,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment