Greetings from Peter Mayer

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

h2odevos encores 032112 The Bread of Tears


Rust or diamonds, you wonder who you are
Under who you are
Trust I'm trying
All the while I'm tumbling barrel rollin'
What a crazy way to save me

Waterfall don't you stop
A desert wind tied a knot
Round our voices that rejoice and stand for
Peace
Don't you stop


There's no flag to unfold
No weapon can contol
Over borders it will roll
This One for all waterfall

Where you're headed where you turned
You look back and you're not so sure
But in the hands of love you were
All along...all along

Waterfall by Peter Mayer

I'm a bread baker. On my day off, I try to bake some bread to give away to friends or acquaintances. I also keep a loaf for internal consumption. One of my favorite recipes is for oatmeal bread. It makes a hearty bread which is great toasted and covered with jam.

Another favorite bread is one that I've baked for over 25 years: Three Grain bread, with whole wheat, soy and rye flours. Sometimes, I mix in some potato water and shredded potatoes into that recipe. I learned that addition by my Grandmother Katherine. She was married to a pastor who died shortly before I was born.

I also experiment with adding wheat germ or other ingredients from time to time. However, I can honestly say, I don't ever recall making bread with tears. That is not to say that my life is always fun and games, but I'm not a very proficient or even professional crier. I do have my moments when tears flood my eyes. Sometimes I cry when I'm sad. Other times I cry when I am laughing quite intently.

The psalmist sang,
"You have fed them with the bread of tears,
      and given them tears to drink in full measure." Psalm 80:5

While I've never baked the bread of tears, I know I have tasted it a time or two in my life. My sense is that you have as well. It is that bread which doesn't satisfy one's hunger. In fact, it might even cause one to lose one's appetite or even spit the bread out on the plate. It is the bread of deep sadness, pain and hurt.

I'm somewhat in awe of the current range of Kleenex commercials which feature their marketing campaign, "Let it out." On one spot I saw, the text along the screen asked,
"Are people ready to let it out?" Then the answer appears:
"Turns out all it takes is a good listener and a box of Kleenex."

Peter sings,
"Waterfall don't you stop 
A desert wind tied a knot 
Round our voices that rejoice and stand for 
Peace 
Don't you stop"


I think the commercial is correct, turns out all it takes is a good listener.   God is a great listener. And I know from experience that the people of God are pretty good listeners, too.


Today you might meet someone who has made their bread with tears. Take or make some time to listen.  The tissues are good to have on hand as well.

Peace,
rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment