Greetings from Peter Mayer

Saturday, March 24, 2012

h2odevos encores 032412 In the Shadow of Your Wings



"Have a little faith in angels
You never know where they might be
Have a little faith in angels
And you might begin to see
You could have a little faith in me

We all were born beneath a troubled sky
You've been waiting for the wings to carry you
But what you dream you got to live
The love you want you got to give

Open up that secret smile
Filled with pieces of a dream
Let's take a change on a moonlit while
While there's still time to believe" 
Faith in Angels by Roger Guth & Peter Mayer

Yesterday was a day full of tests and contradictions. I was scheduled to fly to Denver for a meeting. I arrived at the airport in plenty of time for my scheduled flight. However, neither the plane nor the crew was there. Most of the passengers were ready, but without a crew or plane, we weren't going to go very far. After numerous delays we finally boarded the plane and took off for Denver.

When the plane arrived at Denver International Airport, we could see that it was snowing. The weather report (which I had printed and stuck in my pocket) predicted  partial sunshine. I suppose that left it open for just about anything else to happen (although it didn't explicitly state that snow was a possibility). The shuttle bus took me to the lot where my rental car was, but my name didn't seem to be in the computer. Finally, my name and my space number were matched up. I drove the 30 miles or so to the place where my meeting was to take place. I had an open window of time to grab a bite to eat, so I walked to a nearby establishment. By now it had stopped snowing, and the sun was brightly shining. I selected my food and ate outside in the bright sunshine. When I was walking back to the office building where my meeting was to take place, I heard the sound of sirens. I saw a couple of fire trucks coming down the street and turned in the direction of the building where my meeting was to be. Yes, as you might have guessed it, the building was experiencing a fire. Fire trucks, hoses, firefighters and all the inhabitants of the building were out in the street in front of the building. Word was that there was a fire in the basement. After some time we were all invited to enter the building.

My meeting went well, and I made it back to the airport without incident. The weather, rental car company and airline all cooperated and collaborated to make the rest of the afternoon and evening what is often called a "non-event."

When traveling I usually carry a copy of the Book of Psalms which Sue Ann gave to me a couple of years ago. This particular verse was dancing with a line from Peter's song "for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy." (Psalm 63)  and "You've been waiting for the wings to carry you."

I share the litany of yesterday with you because when things don't go the way that I'd like them to, I sometimes feel that I'm doing this by myself, that I'm alone. And yet, I know and believe we are all in this together.

Last night when I was driving home from the airport, I laughed when I thought about the day. Maybe your day was like that yesterday or maybe it will by like that today. However it is, here's a gift for you, to remember, to celebrate, to trust ...

"for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy."

rtg

No comments:

Post a Comment