Greetings from Peter Mayer

Thursday, March 15, 2012

h2odevos encores 031512 Under the Broom Tree


"In my work I grow weary
Lost on this road of desires
Where is the path that leads homeward?
To bring me back to your fire.
Lift these eyes of sadness into gladness at Your peace
I am lost and weary, come shepherd me"

Ever Walk With Me Lord by Peter Mayer

I'm not exactly sure what a "broom tree" looks like, but I believe I've probably sat underneath one. The good news for me, is that I'm not currently sitting underneath one either in my professional or even in my personal life.

Elijah the prophet was in a bad place and space in his life. He had "burned out" and appears to be experiencing what many folks would consider to be depression. It seems that what he likes to do is sleep and eat.

"But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a solitary broom tree. He asked that he might die: 'It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life, for I am no better than my ancestors.' 5Then he lay down under the broom tree and fell asleep. Suddenly an angel touched him and said to him, 'Get up and eat.' 6He looked, and there at his head was a cake baked on hot stones, and a jar of water. He ate and drank, and lay down again. 7The angel of the Lord came a second time, touched him, and said, 'Get up and eat, otherwise the journey will be too much for you.' 8He got up, and ate and drank; then he went in the strength of that food for forty days and forty nights to Horeb the mount of God. 9At that place he came to a cave, and spent the night there." (I Kings 19)

There are times when we are simply looking for a "cave."  A place to rest for the night. There are also times when God or another loved one has to remind us to eat, "otherwise the journey will be too much for" us. I must confess that has rarely happened to me (to be reminded to eat). In the past, I have had to be reminded to not each so much.

Parker Palmer (often quotes Outward Bound's motto) by saying, "If you can't get out of it, get into it."

So, if you find yourself on this Ides of March feeling like Elijah or what Peter is singing about, find yourself a broom tree to sit underneath. Some bread and water might be brought to you as you ponder what is going on with your world. You might just offer up a silent prayer for the Good Shepherd to come and shepherd you. I can promise you that you won't have the "wool pulled over your eyes."

May your "eyes of sadness" be transformed into "gladness at Your peace."

Peace,
rtg 

No comments:

Post a Comment